Sunday, October 19, 2014

Ways to keep ourselves happy

I am always happy in my life as long as I get to live my life my way without any interruptions and without the pressure of society. There are people who try to bring you down if they are unhappy in their lives by interrupting and commenting on your lifestyle. But you have to get above them by ignoring those comments and by moving ahead in life. 

For instance people keep asking me if I am happy being a housewife. "Don't you get bored?"; " Life must be so dull for you"; "What do you do at home the whole time?". My retort in my mind is " Who has time to get bored"; "Why would life be dull and boring when you have day to day activities to pursue"; "I teach, learn, create and etc etc"; "Boring term can be applicable to you too if you hate your job".

I have found ways to move away from the the negativity. Here are a few of the things I do to move away from them.

1. Connect with Nature

I am not at home at all times. I go out for a walk regularly. I love watching the colors spread in the sky during sunset. I love the feel of the breeze on my face. It just instantly revives me. I have witnessed the "Blood red phenomenon" of the moon during lunar eclipse. Connecting with the nature rejuvenates me. 

2. Meet a friend

Trust me nothing cheers you up like meeting a friend. You need not have a huge group of friends to make you happy. That one friend can make you the happiest. You need not spend hours together with that friend. Just an hour and a cup of coffee can do wonders. I call self therapy. Everyone looks happy only on social networking.

3. Music is healing

There is no person in the world who doesn't like music. Music heals everything.  I mainly listen to Bollywood melodies. Be it a peppy number, a romantic number or a sad song. There is song for every emotion you feel. I also enjoy bhajans and carnatic music. I love to learn new songs.

4. Reading

Here is the answer for don't you get bored. This world is filled with 1000's of books. If you don't like a particular book you can stop reading and move onto another book that interests you. The books definitely won't mind. I read 3 to 4 books at the same time. That is how writing is also something I am passionate about.

5. Activities that make you happy

Crochet is my new passion. I love trying and making new crochet patterns. It is a newly found skill that I love. Cooking is one other thing that makes me happy. Trying new recipes and enjoying them is also something that I enjoy a lot.

6. Celebrate life

I am a hopeless romantic. I remember each and every anniversary and birthday or any other special occasion. I celebrate valentine's day, friendship day, father's day, mother's day, the day we first met, engagement anniversary and what not. People say it is a marketing strategy to make money. I say it is a strategy to express your love, spend moments with your loved one's. Plan a surprise for your loved one. Planning needs creativity and thinking.  The happiness on their face is ultimately what I seek which in turn makes me very happy. 

The lyrics of William Pharrel's latest song is what inspired this post :


Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I'm happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like that's what you wanna do

No comments:

Post a Comment